Do One Thing For Diversity!!
“Diversity, dialogue and development”: these are three magic Ds. Add a fourth D from “Do one thing campaign” and join us in creating a positive narrative for our age of diversity. Living together in diversity within tolerant and inclusive societies is indeed a dream. But action is what dreams are made out of. Now is a time that we need action to produce results, for with dreams become true – just join us in the Do One Thing Campaign!” said President Jorge Sampaio, High Representative for the UNAOC.
We are all one people...a Jamaican Concept with Global Relevance!
Ten simple things YOU can do to celebrate the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development on May 21, 2012
- Visit an art exhibit or a museum dedicated to other cultures.
- Invite a family or people in the neighborhood from another culture or religion to share a meal with you and exchange views on life.
- Rent a movie or read a book from another country or religion than your own.
- Invite people from a different culture to share your customs.
- Read about the great thinkers of other cultures than yours (e.g. Confucius, Socrates, Avicenna, Ibn Khaldun, Aristotle, Ganesh, Rumi).
- Go next week-end to visit a place of worship different than yours and participate in the celebration.
- Play the “stereotypes game.” Stick a post-it on your forehead with the name of a country. Ask people to tell you stereotypes associated with people from that country. You win if you find out where you are from.
- Learn about traditional celebrations from other cultures; learn more about Hanukkah or Ramadan or about amazing celebrations of New Year’s Eve in Spain or Qingming festival in China.
- Spread your own culture around the world through our Facebook page and learn about other cultures.
- Explore music of a different culture.
There are thousands of things that you can do, are you taking part in it?